menu

Monday 24 June 2019

Preparations

Using nakarte.me to plan my trip, very useful and lot's of cartography options.
It's an old idea, a wish, a place to see. Since my dad and my mom told me stories about the region, I always felt: "I really have to go there" Than I've checked a lot, on youtube, on forums, on google maps. And finally decided I'm going there! At first I wanted to make a trip by bicycle, around lake Baikal. Than starting to check the map for roads around. I saw pretty soon that north-eastern region of Baikal are very wild. Roads are scarce, and there are no actual road only gravel paths, which will be awesome for cyclists. Except a little detail. Russian people started to ask me: "How will you sleep at night alone?", "It's dangerous,...
there are plenty of bears" It's not a joke.
The region is wild and everyone going there should be aware of what is a bear.
So, I started to look around for keywords "bear, wilderness, etc..." No need to say that I got scared from the Google search results.
And I've got the nice tips, on what to do and what not to do.
It's always important to be as much as prepared as you can.
... The post-cubicle classical fear of the unknown.

In case any wildling out there ever want's to take a bite on me, I thought to even buy the UDAP, portable electric fence. Proof of my wisdom, is the following video; were I do test, efficiency of the electric fence.
Needles to say, people doing this stuff know what they doing. And I've got a good zap!. Not once but twice. Obviously for YouTube I had to go a second time.

Everything concerning safety should be tested at least once before usage. Here I had some curiosity as well concerning the power of the shock, I though it was n't enough so I was n't ready to trust them.
The poles you see in the video are not the original UDAP poles (those where a bit short to my liking). I use MSR adjustable aluminum poles, and I had to craft the insulators to attach the wire.
This poles are good for anything, so it's a good investment as they can be used to setup a tarp for shade or rain, or the electric fence :).


No comments:

Post a Comment